On 29th July 1899 Reverend George Penman laid the foundation stone for Goldington Road Schools. The Infants School opened on 15th January 1900 and the Mixed Department opened on 24th April in the same year. The building work was carried out at a cost of £10,866.
Soon after the outbreak of the First World War the School was taken over and used as a soldiers' hospital. In 1929 there was a school re-organisation and the school roll rose to 535 children and class sizes averaged 50.
In 1932 school was closed for a day to house un-employed marchers from the north who were on the Jarrow March. In 1938 a nursery class was added to the school.
During 1940 air raid shelters were built in the school playground. The log book records on 3rd October 1940 :
Air Raid Warnings 9.35 - 11.00
11.10 - 12.00
1.50 - 5.10
Barley sugar and biscuits distributed Big changes came in September 1946 when the school became Infant, Junior and Secondary Modern.
In the admission register for 1958 is a notable entry, that of Yozsef Bugner, aged 8 (Later to become British Heavyweight boxing champion).
In December 1964 the Secondary department in Goldington Road closed and children transferred to Newnham Secondary School. In 1966 a swimming pool was added.
July 1975 marked the end of Goldington Road Schools, due to re-organisation of education. The School re-opened as Castle Lower School in September 1975.
In 1985 a new Kitchen and Dinning room was setup in Block 3 and the old canteen in the playground was demolished.
In 1994 a Before and After School 'Care-Club' was setup.
The New Millenium saw the introduction of a brand new ICT Suite to the Schooland in the same year Years 3 and 4 visited the Millenium Dome.